Sharpen your pencils and ready your paints, the Lost Fishes Art Challenge is here!
In partnership with Conservation Optimism, Shoal are launching an art challenge for each of the 10 Most Wanted species from the Search for the Lost Fishes.
Each of the Top 10 species are currently monochrome. Having been hidden from human eyes for many years, they have lost their sparkle, their colours have faded to black, white and grey, their appearance has become unclear as a turbid river. As we lost these species, they too have lost their colours.
We need you, talented artist, to bring the rainbow back to these fishes, to magic them back to dazzling life and give them the chance to be seen in all their scaly splendour for everyone to admire.
The rules of the competition are simple:
• Each submission must represent one of the 10 Most Wanted Lost Fishes species.
• Multiple entries per person are encouraged: there’s even a ‘portfolio’ prize category for the best submission of three or more separate species.
• The submissions themselves should be emailed to Shoal (info. below), but feel free to work in whichever medium you’d prefer – digital, sculpture, collage, watercolour – let your creativity loose! We also encourage you to share your entries on social media, using the hashtags #LostFishesArtComp and #LostFishes, and #SundayFishSketch if posting on a Sunday. We will repost your entries where we can.
• Submissions should look crisp and clear in A3: unfortunately, we won’t be able to consider grainy images at this size.
• As we are keen to use some of the submissions as Shoal’s oh-fish-al Lost Fishes illustrations, it will be best to focus solely on the fish and not include any background imagery.
• Deadline for entries is 30 September 2021, 12pm BST (competition is open worldwide).